Keep plastic loops closed and clean by owning your assets
Stakeholders from around the value chain come together to reinvent plastic as an asset that is owned and tracked. Instead of being sold, disgarded and arduously recovered, plastic should be a token of value. The goal of this initiative is to create a system of multi-lateral contracts, like a trading platform which incentivises deposit schemes and economically viable synergies. Early members of PlasTrade benefit from fast, agile, goal-oriented action that no one could achieve alone. They will be the forerunners in this new market, sustainability pioneers, and the beneficiaries of its economic advantage.
The plastics industry is a sector that has like no other shape shaped our production and consumption. It allowed for simple and hyhlgenic supply of essential goods at low costs. However, it also led to the exponential increase of a linear use-and-dispose culture, the massive consumption of fossil fuels with its climate-threatening effects, and the unprecedented pollution of vital resources in the water and on land. Producers, manufacturers, consumers and recyclers are all obligated to take responsibility for use and continuous re-use of this precious resource, apart from the search for alternatives on the material and process side.
PlasTrade is the agile, modern COBIOM initiative that drives fast progress and implementation of solutions designed together with all members from industry, non-profit quality controllers, research experts, political decision makers and technical providers. It is the neutral ground on which mutual synergies between the members are co-created. The goal of this initiative is to create a system of multi-lateral contracts, like a trading platform which incentivises deposit schemes and economically viable synergies. Detailed requirements, conditions, quality standards, measurements and metrics are created by the dedicated manager team and experts from the partners and the network.
The initiative is planned to start mid 2022 and runs for 2 years before the system is continuated as a for-benefit business. Members have the option to join and invest in development and ownership of this business to secure their market position in the future.
What the initiative delivers
- Member workshops and expert working groups to develop the solution that will be implemented as a trading and data platform by the initiative to manage value chain assets
- Matching of demands, providers, partners et cetera while researching market needs and engaging stakeholders from the start
- Development og fund options for innovation and market projects as part of the initiative; this leads to a reduction of risk in projects by sharing it between members
- Quality control and integration of NGO standards with the objective to influence policital decision making that makes closed plastic loops competitive on the market
What the initiative needs
- Companies along the plastic value chain as founding members, i.e. producers, manufacturers, retailers, recyclers and more
- Experts from the plastic and production industry, finance and urban civic services
- Non-profits, associations and regulators willing to join in the development of disruptive business models and alternatives to current value flows